8.5: Hydration Station
- Page ID
- Why it is important to drink water and how to make a sugary beverage alternative such as infused water.
Giveaway: Infused water and recipe cards.
- Signage and handouts (e.g. recipe cards)
- Question board and answer key
- Recipe Materials: alternative beverage container, alterative beverage and disposable cups
- Alternative beverage container and alternative beverage such as infused water/tea/fruit-smoothies.
- Feedback survey, pencils and collection box
- Create water trivia questions based off of the fun facts and print and answer key with questions and their answers.
- Make infused water with fruit/vegetables and herbs.
- Place the infused water in big jugs/cups for participants to take
- Have participants attempt to answer water trivia questions by calling out numbers on a board that have a water-related question behind each number.
- Offer students a sample of an alternative beverage, its ingredients and the recipe to prepare their own sample at home.
- Ask participants to complete the feedback survey.
- Introduction: How many times do you drink water in a day?
- Dehydration can cause tiredness, headaches, and lack of concentration.
- Water is the only fluid that hydrates without calories or risking harm to teeth.
- Starting in the morning with breakfast, aim to have 6-8 drinks of water per day.
Suggested Information for Café O Yea:
Intrinsic (natural) sugar: found in whole, unprocessed foods, such as milk, fruit, vegetables, and some grains.
Fruit contains fructose and milk contains lactose as naturally occurring sugars.
Free (added) sugars: added to foods by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
- When we are born water makes up about 75% of our body weight
- Water makes up about 60% of the body weight of older children and adults
- Water is constantly being lost from out body (when we go to the toilet, when we breathe, when we sweat) so if we don't drink enough we become dehydrated.
- Water helps out body in many ways:
- It carries nutrients to cells;
- It helps to remove waste products from our major organs;
- It helps us to control our body temperature.
- Water is found in all drinks and also in food. For example water is in orange juice and milk; it is also in fruits and vegetables. It is even in cheese!
- People can survive for up to 50 days without food but only a few days without drinking water.
Suggestions for Board
Recipes for alternative drinks: Infused water recipes (https://wellnessmama.com/3607/herb-f...infused-water/)
- Blackberry Sage Water
- Cucumber Mint
- Grapefruit Raspberry
Drink 8-12 Cups of water
2 to 2.5 liters of water
- World Health Organization. "Information note about intake of sugar recommended in the WHO guideline fro adults and children." Retrieved from:
- American Heart Association. "Sugar 101". Retrieved from: www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...024Article.jsp
- American Heart Association. "Frequently Asked Questions about Sugar". Retrieved from: