What organs are unique to the male body?
Men and women share most of the same organs. We all have skin, a heart, and lungs. Men and women differ only in their reproductive organs.
- The penis is a cylinder-shaped organ. It contains the urethra. The urethra is a tube that carries urine out of the body. The urethra also carries sperm out of the body.
- The two testes (singular, testis) are egg-shaped organs. They produce sperm and secrete testosterone. The testes are found inside of the scrotum. The scrotum is a sac that hangs down outside the body. The scrotum also contains the epididymis. The testes, being in the scrotum outside the body, allow the temperature of the sperm to be maintained at a few degrees lower than body temperature. This is necessary for the stability of these reproductive cells.
- The epididymis is a tube that is about six meters (20 feet) long in adults. It is tightly coiled, so it fits inside the scrotum. It rests on top of the testes. The epididymis is where sperm grow larger and mature. The epididymis also stores sperm until they leave the body.
Other parts of the male reproductive system include the vas deferens and the prostate gland. Both of these structures are pictured below (Figure above).
- The vas deferens is a tube that carries sperm from the epididymis to the urethra.
- The prostate gland secretes a fluid that mixes with sperm to help form semen. The prostate gland is located beneath the bladder. Semen is a "milky" liquid that carries sperm through the urethra and out of the body. In addition to sperm cells, semen contains sugars (fructose) which provide energy to the sperm cells, and enzymes and other substances which help the sperm survive.
- Male reproductive organs include the penis, testes, and epididymis.
- The testes produce sperm and secrete testosterone.
Use the resources below to answer the questions that follow.
Explore More I
- The Male Reproductive System at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRNqsT_NRcY (1:21)
- What are the two seminal tubules?
- How long is sperm stored once it is produced? Where are sperm stored?
- What two types of cells are found inside the seminiferous tubules?
Explore More II
- Male Reproductive Organs at http://www.innerbody.com/image_repmov/repo10-new3.html
- What does the prostate gland do?
- What is the epididymis? Where is it located? What is its function?